Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Interaction with Darkness.

In Adolescence 2, written by Billy Collins, the speaker interacts with different forms of darkness. These different forms are night, the three seal men that glitter like pools of ink under moonlight, the ragged holes at the edge of darkness, and the darkness of night that rests like a ball of fur on her tongue. Why does she interact with these forms of darkness? Well, for starters, it is very difficult to decipher the text and determine what is actually happening in this piece. The whole thing seems very figurative, which leaves us with many theories and possible scinarios for the actual happenings, so I'm not going to go into that. However, I think it is significant that she is interacting with the darkness because we all have to interact with the darkness in our lives. Granted, it might not always be as creepy as the dark figures in Adolescence 2, but everyone has to deal with the dark things in life. I think Collins illustrated our interactions with darkness in the extreme sense in order to create a vividly dark picture. (no puns intended). Also, I believe Collins is expressing how we cannot get rid of the vile darkness because of the line that reads, "Can you feel it yet?...Well, maybe next time," which implies that the dark seal men will keep returning. Furthermore, the line that reads, "Night rests like a ball of for on my tongue" really depicts how we cannot completely get rid of darkness. Notice that the night rests on her tongue, meaning it is unmoved and undisturbed from its position on her tongue, which, to me, means that she cannot get it off of her tongue. Here you can see where I get my conclusion from. My question for this piece, besides what is actually happening, would be "is she doomed to interact with this darkness in this manner forever? Or is there some sort of hope or redemption?" I may never get a straight answer for my question.

No comments: