Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Superposition

After our class discussion I thought the concept of superposition was a pretty cool theory. Then, after watching the youtube video on superposition, the way it was described at the end made it clear to me that this theory is nothing more than relativism. Yes, it started out as a scientific theory, but that was just the starting point of the concept. It was taken and used to develop superposition, which is a theory of relativity, in which we choose what exists and where it exists. To me it sounds like they're trying to make mankind sound like God, which makes me think of the New Age movement. I don't know if New Age philosophy had any influence on superposition or not, so I'm not going to assume anything. I just can't agree with the idea that reality as we know it is only our perception, and that everything is based off of our choice of perception. If superposition were true, then how could we trust that we are all experiencing the same thing? I mean, one person could see the marker by the white board, while someone else sees it on a desk. They both perceived, or measured the location of the marker and thus brought it's solidity into perceptual existence, but they didn't experience the same thing. We would all be living in our own little worlds made up of our own perceptions, which brings us to isolating ourselves, and concentrating on just ourselves because no one else exists in our perceived existence. Being brought back to the concentration on self, as in the self is all that matters, brings me back again to the New Age movement. My first thoughts after watching the video were "woa, trippy". To say that everything is how you make it to be is just something I can't agree with as a Christian.

No comments: